John Bennett graduated in furniture design from Leeds Polytechnic in 1980. Then he attended the Royal College of Art for postgraduate studies (1980 to 1983(M Des RCA).
In 1983 he moved to Italy and began working with Tecno spa in Milano on a variety of projects. His first project was designing auditorium seating which was presented in the Milan fair. With Norman Foster he worked the Nomos furniture system and with Richard Rogers on the furniture project for the new Lloyds building in London.
The design philosophy at Tecno forged by Osvaldo Borsani was “design without fashion” and the pursuit for product longevity. This approach to designing became an important influence and initiated his personal quest for similar goals and objectives in many future works as a professional designer.
My awards and exhibitions
Design Awards and Exhibitions
- Isola office furniture system, Planula:
- “Form & Function” exhibition, Science Museum London.
- Zelig desking system, Marcatrè:
- Selected for “Compasso D’Oro”
- Bella, Ing. Castaldi Illuminazione:
- “Lights of the Future 2000 Award”, I-Saloni
- “Design Plus – Light and Building Award”
- Selected for “ADI Design Index 1998/99
- “I.D. Magazine Annual Design Review 2001”
- TW Collection office furniture system, Frezza SpA
- I-Dot Italian Design on Tour.
- “Good Design 2000”, The Chicago Athenaeum
- Selected for “ADI Design Index 1998 / 99”
- Honourable Mention for “XIX Compasso D’Oro ADI “
- “Best of Neocon Competition”, Editor’s Choice Award
- “Hello” Desk System for Victory Group Co., Ltd.
- Silver Prize CIFF 2012. China.
- MIFF 2016 the platinum award for office furniture category for Platz.
- German Design Award 2019 for Office Furniture System “Fusion”